Wednesday, August 12, 2009

More Prosciutto

I had hoped to develop a new recipe last night. A pasta dish using garlic and herb cheese spread, broccoli and grape tomatoes. It just didn't work out. It was dry (although I did add chicken broth and white wine) and its flavor was just blah. Oh well, I tried. I'll use what's left of the cheese spread on toasted thin baguette slices and top them with some arugula and the last of the grape tomatoes, halved.

For something to go with the baguettes I'll take a tried and true route. Clean and slice one cantaloupe into wedges. Wrap each wedge with one thin slice of prosciutto. That's all it takes, and the combination of the salty ham and sweet fruit is to die for.

As an alternative, try wrapping the prosciutto around wedges of honeydew or even pineapple. After all, doesn't Hawaiian pizza combine ham and pineapple? Isn't serving pineapple with baked ham done all the time? I wonder how it would taste wrapped around grilled peach or nectarine halves, or perhaps you could chop the fruit and tear the ham into smaller pieces to make a salad, adding thinly sliced red onion and/or cucumber and dressing with a bottled vinaigrette. All of these lovely fruits are in season, so I'm going to make the most of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment